Sunday 27 October 2013

Let's Go There: Therapy Sessions



Let's go there.
 
 
I have dealt with an anxiety disorder for majority of my life. It's not always fun and I've been called everything from "crazy" to "difficult to be around." How do you think that makes me feel? Absolutely horrible. So why is it that people find it okay to talk to me like this? It's because they are uneducated in regards to anxiety. They see a person unable to cope with stress and immediately start throwing labels out at them. It's unfair, it's cruel and we need to talk about it. I want to use this blog as a platform to help people who also have anxiety. To let them get involved in discussions like these so they don't feel "crazy" or "difficult to be around."
 
Another stigma about anxiety/depression is the resource often given, therapy. Or in other words, seeing a psychologist. A lot of people don't understand why someone needs therapy. "Can't you figure it out on your own? I had to and I've been dealt and even crappier hand than you" or "It's all about how you react to these situations. If you didn't get so worked up all the time you probably would be able to get stuff done faster" are types of conversations I have had with people when I tell them I have attended therapy sessions. Not very supportive is it? But what they fail to realize is that seeing a therapist is a form of therapy. A way to help me learn how to cope with anxiety. I am given tips, tricks and tools in order for me to grow as a person and sometimes we all need someone to talk to. Someone who is unbiased and has our best interest at heart. 
 
From all the negativity I have experienced here's what I have learned: Mental health issues are such a trivial topic, almost as if you were to discuss religion or politics. Not everyone understands, people will attack you because you are different and it's emotionally draining to get someone on your "side." So in regards to needing a support system through your difficult times, do not tell people who aren't willing to support you 100%. Personal note: I have family members who do not accept my anxiety disorder as an actual medical problem. So you know what I do? I don't talk to them about my personal life. Now, I'm not telling you to rid everyone from your life. Sometimes when you need to vent to someone, they are unable because they have a life of their own as and you must keep that in mind as well. What I am  trying to say is, don't keep toxicity around you. If your friend tells you you're a loser because you're too scared to go rock climbing, ditch them. If your friends tells you they will call you back in a few days when they can dedicate their full attention to hearing your stresses. Cherish them.
 
 
Overall, I want this blog post to be as relatable as possible. I want to keep it short and sweet so you can move on to other features on this blog but keep in mind that this will be a topic that resurfaces once in awhile. Feel free to comment and share your own similar experiences.
 
Thanks for listening,
 
Maddy (Ruby Red Contributor)

No comments:

Post a Comment